Year 5/6 Curriculum
Living things have structural features and adaptations that help them to survive in their environment (ACSSU043)
- Students explore the structural features of living things found in the forest.
- Students identify how the adaptations of living things in a forest help them to survive.
The growth and survival of living things are affected by the physical conditions of their environment (ACSSU094)
Students make observations and identify how physical conditions impact the growth and survival of forests species.
Scientific knowledge is used to solve problems and inform personal and community decisions (ACSHE083/ ACSHE100)
Students examine the importance of science in managing forests for the future.
The environmental and human influences on the location and characteristics of a place and the management of spaces within them (ACHASSK113)
Students explore how environments are managed to address environmental, social/cultural and economic values.
The impact of bushfires or floods on environments and communities, and how people can respond (ACHASSK114)
- Students understand the role of fire and how it behaves in different forest environments.
- Students explore the significance of fire in the management of forests.
Organise and represent data in a range of formats including tables, graphs and large- and small-scale maps, using discipline-appropriate conventions (ACHASSI096 and ACHASSI124)
- Students annotate basic map to locate natural and man-made features of a site. Use compasses and measuring equipment to identify reference points and sense of scale.
Design and Technology
Examine how people in design and technologies occupations address competing considerations, including sustainability in the design of products, services, and environments for current and future use (ACTDEK019)
- Students identify the ways scientists research forest systems for sustainable forest management.
- Students investigate innovation and technology in forest products.
Investigate food and fibre production and food technologies used in modern and traditional societies (ACTDEK012)
Students explore our daily uses of forest products and how they are produced.
Investigate the suitability of materials, systems, components, tools and equipment for a range of purposes (ACTDEK013)
- Students investigate forest products, their features and properties.
- Students examine the role forest products can play in sustainable futures.