With field notes in hand spend the day in your local forest and develop skills in using a GPS, both for locating features, and for recording students locations on a geo- referenced map. Explore the characteristics of different Tasmanian forest types and understand the adaptations of plants in these systems.
Explore the relationships between living and non-living components of a forest ecosystem and how these are affected by the physical conditions of the local environment. Walk through a eucalypt forest – exploring the changes, the adaptations, the influencing factors and the role of fire.
This program also includes an incursion opportunity to extend your learning following the field experience.
Plan your Excursion
- What is the purpose of your field trip? We can develop your program to suit your learning objectives and meet your curriculum needs. Please let us know anyway we can adapt the program to suit your students’ interest and learning needs.
- Please notify us about any student with special needs. We can adjust your program to ensure everyone is involved.
- Take advantage of our bus subsidy and fill your bus. Why not take two classes? Each class will have an FEF teacher for the day.
- In order to make your excursion planning easier the FEF has developed a Risk Assessment Plan. This document is written by the qualified teachers of the FEF.
- Bring along parent helpers. Extra assistance is always appreciated. We will get any parent helpers actively involved in the program.
- Organise your students into small groups (4-6 groups depending on the class size).
- Ensure your students are supervised at all times.
- Prepare for all-weather conditions. Ensure your students wear appropriate clothing, comfy shoes, hats and wet weather gear – you just never know!
Have fun! The forest is an amazing place. Get involved and enjoy the adventure with your students.
The Year 5/6 program costs $150 per class, which also includes a potential class visit.
An invoice will be sent to the school following your excursion. School groups using externally hired transport may apply for a $100 bus subsidy.
- What do you know about forests?
- Are all forests the same?
- List the ways in which trees in a forest depend on the other parts of the forest ecosystem.
- Discuss how people interact with the forests.
- What are the features of a Eucalypt tree that help it adapt to its surroundings?
- Compose a ‘before’ and ‘after’ poem or artwork that explores a forest fire and the new life and regeneration that follows.