Bring the forest to your classroom with Forest in a Box. Forest in a Box- Forest Interconnections is a comprehensive resource package that provides activities and resources to support teachers to integrate forest education into their classrooms.
Forest Interconnections enables students to understand the importance of forests and how they function. The resource package explores the living and non-living parts of a forest, their features and the ways they are dependent on each other for survival.
Forest in a Box package includes:
- Teacher Guide – Curriculum links, suggested activities and supporting materials
- Teaching Resources – Forest specimens, magnifying glasses, books, Tree Time Tasks and hands on teaching aids
- Incursion led by FEF teachers to introduce the resource to students and teachers.
- Students make observations and identify living things in the forest, based on their features.
- Students sort and classify the living and non-living parts of a forest.
- Students investigate the life cycles of living things in forest environments.
- Students recognise different factors that may impact the life cycles of forests, trees and the living things that live among them.
- Students identify the components of a forest ecosystem and the connections between living and non-living things.
- Students explore and explain the patterns and relationships that make a healthy forest.
- Students identify the ways people interact with forest landscapes.
- Students examine their role in the future of forest landscapes.
Relevant curriculum links can be found here
As part of the loan package, the FEF will provide an introductory incursion to classes interacting with the kit. The 60-90 minute session will help students and teachers to familiarise themselves with the kit, and includes hands-on, educational activities to support the learning program.
The Forest in a Box – Forest Interconnections is a package of learning, including Professional Learning, Teacher Guide and Support Materials. The package is free of charge, with a loan period of 4-5 weeks, if participating in an FEF excursion. Find out more.